Tuesday, August 14, 2012

(II) MAC @ Target - Real or Fake? with photos and comparison

I got a MAC lipstick in Creme Cup (Cremesheen) from Target last week. 
Frankly, I am still not 100% certain if the one I purchased is authentic. The packaging looks alrite but the quality of lipstick itself  is terrible and I ended up returning it to Target.


Identical caps
(L - R ) Viva Glam Gaga, A Rose Romance, Angel, CremeCup

Lipstick tubes
(L - R ) Viva Glam Gaga, A Rose Romance, CremeCup


Congruous inner structure
(L) Angel   (R) CremeCup




The only inconsistency I could tell from the packaging was the label.
As MAC has a 'back to mac' program allowing customers returning 6 empty product containers in exchange for a free lipstick, all eligible items will have a tiny recyclable logo on the labels (Viva glam products wont have it though since the collection was created for Aids Fund and cant be used for B2M).
The Creme Cup label looks unlike in term of
- not having the recyclable symbol
- different font size and font style applied
- label sticker used (the sticker appeals to be much shinier)

The lipstick itself is bizarre! I twisted it up and saw the bubbles and a scratch on the side :S
It doesnt have that lovely vanilla scent which most MAC lipsticks have, instead a plastic-y, artificial chemical scent you find from cheap lipsticks (if you dont know what I mean, go to a $2 store and try one lol)

----------------------------------------------
Target claimed its MAC products were genuine from local suppliers, yet I dont believe authenticity can be guaranteed considering nobody can confirm if the supplier is M.A.C or just some chinese importers (which Target got most of its products from).

12 comments:

  1. hmm. it looks authentic, but there have been lots of fake mac lipsticks in the market right now. it's such a shame that target sells such stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting post.. if it is really fake, then it's such a shame because target is huge retailer right? Isn't target like huge supermarket ? hehe I live in Germany so I don't really know about it but I heard a lot about target ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't MAC counters the only official MAC distributor?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The packaging and labels looks a bit distorted indeed but target is such a huge retail store so I think they won't risk selling fakes neither will their suppliers do so (I just hope so)...I do see a lot of fakes mac selling thru online and claiming that they are authentic!! shame! :\ 

    ReplyDelete
  5. They said they acquired the products from melbourne-based importers :S
    Nowadays China make very good knockoffs *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, but Target said they acquired the products from melbourne-based importers :S 
    M.A.C responded as they didnt supply any makeup product to Target. 

    ReplyDelete
  7. i returned mine and the lady didn't even ask for my reason :S

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm pretty sure those are fakes since i have seen fake MAC products from China - and those look def not like MAC products - especially the beige print on the blush. Target will have to stand up for this and clear the situation!
    Janine

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a bit dubious about MAC cosmetics at Target... I went in to have a look at my local one and the ones there didn't have that vanilla smell they should have either. Disappointing!


    Thanks for leaving such a nice comment on my blog. Unfortunately, Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains aren't out in Australia yet... I got mine from overseas and I'm sure you can find a seller for them on eBay if you're really interested :) xx


    http://www.graceandglitter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ughhh bubbling?! Thank goodness for Target's return policy, I shudder to think whether the ingredients are fit for use

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for the warning hun! this is why i don't buy make up at target hmm thanks for letting us know =D


    love from the NANA girls xoxo

    ReplyDelete