Monday, August 06, 2012

(I) MAC @ Target - Real or Fake? with photos and comparison

Today I checked out the latest MAC collection @ Target. I was a bit skeptical since there was no tester available at all (though it might be temporary only). I bought a lipstick and a blush so I can compare them to the one I have at home.


Blush
Price @ Target - $24.95 (though listed $24 on Target catalogue)
RRP @ MAC counter at DJ/ Myer- @ $41


I am going to show some comparisons between authentic MAC mineralize blushes I owned and the MAC powder blush purchased from Target. None of the photo was processed with photoshop or other software.


- Brand Name
MAC mineralize blushes (top) - clear and bold font
Powder blush from Target (bottom) - finer/thinner font
 (very obvious difference if you can compare them side by side)

I do have quite high attention to detail and I actually compare the brand name stickers :P
Even the sticker used and quality is not the same.


(Left: Mineralize blush        Right: Powder blush from Target)
As you can tell easily, the plastic packaging on the right is quite poorly made and has visible imperfections.

A closer look. I dont think MAC will have such quality product sold in counter?


The labels say a lot.
Font color from the genuine one is light grey, yet the Target one uses beige.
From what I can recall, MAC always uses light grey/white but never chooses beige in font color?
Btw, Jenny wrote a post showing photos of her fake Blushbaby blush from strawberrynet (Click here to her post :]) and frankly the Target one looks very similar to her fake one!


Just let you know the blush name and bar code on the box are printed instead of labelled (though I am not sure if its relevant).



-------------------------------------------------------------
I asked a Target staff (A) if the MAC products are genuine. For sure she said yes.
Then I heard a conversation between A and another staff (B)
A: We have MAC makeup again.
B: Oh they bring it back? It's good.
A: Yeah, I think the products should be real? but somehow the price is so much cheaper than the counter.
B: (look at the price) Ah ahh ahhh, its true MAC is a good brand and should be quite expensive....
A: .......

On my mind: Meeeh even the staffs are skeptical and question if they are real -_-
-------------------------------------------------------------


I have to clarify I am not a massive fan of MAC and dont own a substantial MAC collection. If anyone loves and knows MAC products very well, welcome to leave your comments below!
I am not accusing Target selling knockoffs, who dares to challenge the big company honestly?
I just point out the inconsistency and find something to write in my blog lol
As a consumer, the best thing you can do is to go to target and try the Mac products on yourself, rather than ordering them online.

[[[Shhh. I am going to return the MAC products purchased. Skepticism :S But Im still having the lipstick post coming! Wait for it :P ]]

32 comments:

  1. Hmmm.. odd! I would be suss too about it... Perhaps it's just old stock? :( Maybe you should email Target about it and let us know! XD I'm a bit too lazy myself Y_Y Thanks for the post though. I've heard Target has Bobbi Brown too? I think? 

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so weird.... I wouldn't buy from Target in the first place. I would go refund it if I was you and show them the comparisons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. weird, i haven't seen this yet. i would totally be skeptical

    ReplyDelete
  4. We dont have target here :(  and I havent buy any MAC product until now XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the lipstick is from pretty old batch. But this blush just really cant convince me at all :S
    I havent heard Target is getting BB!! But BB products are even more difficult to tell if they are knockoffs :S meeeh

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought them due to curiosity lol plus Target return policy is good and I can always return the goods as long as I have the receipt. And true I am going to return the MAC stuffs :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. The target near me just got them yesterday and they cleared out the Bloom section! I guess your target will have it soon as the ad has already printed on the catalogue :)
    True I still remain my skepticism even after seeing the products!

    ReplyDelete
  8. honey you dont need target as Japanese 100/280yen stores are even so much better than target <3!!
    MAC costs so much less in Jp compared to in Australia! MAC isnt the only brand, I would rather go for the Japanese brand makeup :)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's good that you can actually return those! I hate fake MAC makeup wtf it's all over the internet! Every online shop here has it and they keep telling people that it's "Singapore-authentic", like what does that even mean? Hahahaha :)) I hate it when they lie to customers wtf. Thanks for posting this, more people better be aware of what they buy~

    And oh, new follower here! I got here through your comment on my blog :3 I love your makeup posts <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. saw their collection in the catalogue as well, and apparently everyone's pondering over their 'authenticity'.  hope its not some cheap asian copy :S

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmmmm what? Why would MAC allow their products to be sold at Target? I thought MAC products did not have other 
    official   distributors aside from their counters?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never knew Target sold MAC but I would return it to as well.. better safe than sorry ^^" and great comparison photos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i just compared the stuff i bought from target with my MAC products I bought from their counters. I can definitely feel and see a difference now. thanks for the info =) will go back for a refund. Also,  I did swatch the blushes and they did feel chalky. 

    ReplyDelete
  14. After purchasing a whole heap of the M.A.C products from target, I was disappointed that Target would be selling fakes as well. I wrote a blog post on it. Check it out: http://yennieyoga.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/fake-mac-products-at-target.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love mac but it is so expensive

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thankyou for this post, I found the same and had similiar findings with my Target counter / Mac counter. I didnt purchase the products because I couldnt bring myself to purchase products I didnt feel were 100% genuine. I have details on my blog with similiar findings if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't have MAC products but this looks fishy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you dear, I did return the MAC products eventually :)!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I didnt swatch the stuffs I purchased but the lipstick smelled bad and nth like Mac lipstick :S

    ReplyDelete
  20. Inglot is a good alternative. equally good quality but in cheaper price :D!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Im interested! can you please attach a link :D?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Please read my blog on this <3 http://maccosmeticstarget.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  23. please read my blog on this <3 http://maccosmeticstarget.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/as-of-august-2012.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. I bought a few things from Target and also Trade Secret (who are also stocking similar MAC items) and tested them (eg i have two genuine 'Harmony' blushes and tested the Trade Secret one and its a slightly different colour and VERY hard to get a swatch off. Also a Brun eyeshadow very hard to swatch). I will be trying to return all of these as they dont seem real to me. BTW some of my genuine blushes (bought from MAC pro in London) have the same thin font and beige back as the target ones so i dont think that in itself are definative.

    ReplyDelete
  25. http://starlingbright.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/mac-cosmetics-selling-at-target-real.html

    Hope you find this helpful xo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Definitely agree that Inglot is a great alternative if you dont want to pay Mac prices. Eyeshadows are richly pigmented and super easy to blend xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Target has also released a statement that they will refund any purchase if consumers are not happy with their purchase. Check my blog and Plastic Diaries for confirmation

    ReplyDelete
  28. If it doesnt have the standard Mac Vanilla scent, half the chance that it is expired or an old batch, take it back for a refund

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mac has released a statement that they only supply to Pro Stores, Counters and Free Standing stores and that Target is NOT an authorised seller. They dont show the Mac Logo for that reason. If you have purchased products, take them back for a refund. Details can be seen on my blog as well as The Plastic Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  30. HMMM i just bought studio fix powder from MAC at target and i didn't think that target would ever sell dodgy ones but idk now... i think that maybe they are real mac but something stuffed up with the packaging which is why they're being sold at a discount in target. i'm not sure though, thanks to this post i'm going to go compare my real mac and target mac... hahaaa



















    cocoandgarcon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. hmmm..actually i bought one blush from mac at bangkok international airport and compared it to the one i got in target and its the same. no difference.


    also ive got the eyeshadow from target and compared to the one i got in LA, it is the same still.


    target probably carries older stock e.g. tantan eyeshadow they have in their collection.


    mac here is overpriced here!


    the prices at target is the same as in the US.

    ReplyDelete